Sunday, March 28, 2010

"Some Wonderful, Magical Animal"



The Simpsons
Lisa: “I’m going to become a vegetarian.”
Homer: “Does that mean you’re not going to eat any pork?”
Lisa: “Yes”
Homer: “Bacon?”
Lisa: “Yes Dad”
Homer: "Ham?”
Lisa: “Dad, all those meats come from the same animal”
Homer: “Right Lisa, some wonderful, magical animal!”"


I spent the entire Saturday writing about the so-called Google vs China war. I'm taking a break until I finally start an entirely new and unremitting chapter called proofreading. You would think that taking a break would involve something like getting a drink (or two) or watching a re-run of Kell on Earth, right? Don't get me wrong, I AM taking a sip of my sauvignon right now as I'm writing this, but the entire living room is being occupied by a dozen of thirsty gamers, a.k.a Weigy's friends from work. Therefore, I'm pretty much tied to my desk. So, I decided to write a post dedicated to a celebrate the arrival of Sunday, the day where I can take a break from Lent. That only means one thing: I am allowed to chow as much meat down my throat.



I'm pretty sure you hear this all the time, but it's a pleasure for me to serenade it again to your ears: Bacons are better in chunks than in slices. As you know, bacons are most often derived from pork bellies. Our friend Richmond, likes to cook his pork bellies Chinese-styled using Chinese five-spice powder. I am most grateful of that fact. Sometimes pork bellies are intimidating for some people, especially when they come in huge chunks. The truth is, pork bellies are like diamonds in the rough!



We (by we I mean Richmond) slow-cooked the pork bellies for more than 5 hours and it just got more and more tender. We stir-fried it first before slow-cooking it. The broth turned out to be very rich, fatty, and sweet. We ended up chopping the pork bellies into pieces. I don't like the fatty parts, I always pass mine to Weigy. I guess it's a matter of preference. Knowing that my guilt of eating a generous amount of pure fat might result in some head-banging action, I'd rather take some prevention act in advance. As for the meat, it simply just glides in your mouth, very juicy and soft.

I like to eat the richest and fattiest thing with rice. Rice seems to neutralize everything. Plus, a little bit of that silky and shiny fatty broth on top of the rice? Mmmm...

PS: Yes I know, I need to get one of those nicer wooden cutting board. Blame it on IKEA for being so budget-friendly.

No comments:

Post a Comment